Friday, December 9, 2011

In the end...

My time spent in Japan so far has been a wonderful experience.  I have been through plenty of bad and good times in Japan. Before I came here I thought I was going to have an amazing time, drama free. Being here I did have a good time, but I had the drama I wasn’t expecting. It made me think that the Japanese were two faced. Just like the reading we had in Visual Anthropology when a Japanese person asks you if you want to come over, they actually don’t expect you or want you to. They portray themselves as nice but aren’t completely who they seem like. Don’t get me wrong, not all Japanese people are like this, it’s just an experience I had with a few people.

A thing I didn’t like was that I knew I was going to dislike the food.  I thought that the Japanese would have a bigger variety of foods, but it’s all the same to me. When I got here I tried many types of Japanese dishes but they all had that same flavor; soy sauce. I did grow fond of yakisoba, tonkatsu, nabe and tempura. Those dishes are delicious!

 Another thing that I wasn’t expecting was the thousands of advertisements everywhere. I went blind walking into electronic stores. But what I did expect was the beautiful scenery. My perspective on Japan’s society changed because I was expecting a lot of the beautiful landscapes to be covered in buildings, but a lot actually weren’t. An example of this would be Arashiyama and Fushimi Inari. The Japanese really keep their sacred grounds alive. I really appreciated the amount of temples they try to conserve. I know back home in America they wouldn’t think too much about tearing down some type of shrine.
Overall I believe that I had an amazing time at Kansai Gaidai and in Japan. There were crazy things I know I wouldn't see anywhere else in the world, but that's why I consider Japan to be unique. I met people around the world and grew long lasting relationships with them. I’m staying for another semester so I hope that I can meet more new people and get to know their growing thoughts on Japanese life styles.

1 comment: