Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Japanica

I've been to Universal Studios Japan two times now and it is much Americanized. I’ve never been to the Universal studios in Florida, United States, but I know that the people there aren’t as “enthusiastic” about their job as the Japanese. At least that’s what I got from going to Disney Land; the workers were very bad with people.  I asked my roommate what she thought about Universal Studios Japan and she said it was fun, but boring compared to Tokyo Disney Land. I also asked her if she thought it was Americanized and the answer of course was yes. She said that it Universal Studios Japan has lot of American style architecture, the characters (such as Snoopy, Spider Man, Sesame Street, Pink Panther, etc.) are based from America and they play mostly American music throughout the park. I also found this to be true when I went, including their not so grabbing English musicals with foreigners as the cast.
Universal Studios Japan may be very America but it’s still Japanese because of their bizarre and unique food menus. I thought it was weird to see a lot of American restaurants. The restaurants have the American names, but sell food that is completely Japanese, such as mayonnaise pizza with squid ink. You would never see that in America. There are turkey legs being sold at food stands along with Hello Kitty and Snoopy “nikuman”, which are meat-rolls.

Another difference I saw between the Universal Studios in Japan and the one in the States is that they have different choice in main characters for their audience. Japan stands out with its Hello Kitty, Snoopy, Pink Panther and Sesame Street toys and clothing in every corner of the amusement park.






Japan may have similar attractions as America, but it still manages to show the Japanese culture, with its distinctive way of representing it.

I recommend Hollywood Dream: The Ride for anyone who goes. It’s AMAZINGGGG.

2 comments:

  1. I would say that USJ is Japanized rather than Americanized as its origin is America. It is a good example of globalization/glocalization. I would like to read about more specific examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete